Rollei 35, a camera for trips
CarlosMFreaza
2014-01-25 13:14:09 UTC
Last Thursday I came back to my city after a summer holidays trip. I
drove my car along almost 3.800 km (2,360 miles, round trip) with one
of my sons help. I went to Mar del Plata city, a nice place with
beaches on the south Atlantic in the Province /state of Buenos Aires,
400km to the south of Buenos Aires city, Argentinean capital.
I carried the Rollei 35 Tessar (the 35 Sonnar is waiting for more test
after a recent repair), the Rolleiflex 2.8C Xenotar; and I also took
some images -family shots- with my Nokia 920 cell phone, it has a Carl
Zeiss lens. I still need to develop the two Ilford Pan F+ 50 rolls
taken with the 2.8C, perhaps I'll do it tonight or tomorrow.
These are the first two images taken with the Rollei 35 Tessar and
Kodak Ultramax 400 color negative film:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12131417625/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12128106714/

Carlos
CarlosMFreaza
2014-01-26 12:55:16 UTC
An iconic building:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12149910775/

A lunch close to the sea:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12150327404/

Carlos
Carlos
CarlosMFreaza
2014-02-04 14:12:28 UTC
Sea and city:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12291877133/

A cloudy day in the downtown:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12292128624/

Carlos
Carlos
CarlosMFreaza
2014-02-08 10:46:30 UTC
A beach day:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12361317773/

Stones:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12361306833/

Carlos
Carlos
CarlosMFreaza
2014-02-15 12:36:31 UTC
The King penguin (Aptenodytes patagonicus) is the second biggest
penguin after the Emperor penguin:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12524877054/

Most penguins in this photograph are Magellanic penguins (Spheniscus
magellanicus):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12524501723/

Carlos
Carlos
PaintingWithLenses
2014-02-15 13:12:47 UTC
Hi Carlos et al Rollei 35 users;)

You finally made it - now I wanted to try out a 35er on my own.
This first series camera is real great - thinking about the age and everything still working, even the light-meter and its battery.
The light-meter shows exact the same values as my Canon 5d Mark II !
I really don't need to take my Sekonic with me - except for ambience light...but in 90% it's rliable enough

Uwe
😃
Post by CarlosMFreaza
[...]
---
Rollei List
CarlosMFreaza
2014-02-15 14:24:28 UTC
Hi Uwe:
I´m using this Rollei 35 from 2006 and it works very fine
after an initial CLA. It has a Varta 1,35v mercury battery for the
lightmeter (the original voltage); I bought some batteries from a list
member a few years ago, but they are no longer available. The
lightmeter is exact indeed; I rarely use it outdoors with natural
light, but I use it indoors.

Rollei 35 cameras and Rollei TLR cameras look very different, however
they have three significant common points: Both use wheels to set f
stops and shutter speeds, both have similar system for the coupled
lightmeter (needle and follower pointer) and both have central leaf
shutter with flash sync for all shutter speeds.

Last year I almost bought a digital Canon SLR (not your model, a
cheaper one), but I found my Nokia Lumia 920 cellphone and its apps
are enough for my current digital needs. It even has a Carl Zeiss
lens!

Carlos
CarlosMFreaza
2014-02-15 15:36:19 UTC
(...)
....Rollei 35 cameras and Rollei TLR cameras look very different, however
they have three significant common points: Both use wheels to set f
stops and shutter speeds, both have similar system for the coupled
lightmeter (needle and follower pointer) and both have central leaf
shutter with flash sync for all shutter speeds...(...)
I really meant "...Both use _frontal_ wheels to set f stops and
shutter speeds..."

Carlos
PaintingWithLenses
2014-02-15 21:20:18 UTC
Hi Carlos,

indeed, cell-phones are very handy, when it comes to shooting a scene that's not worth spending money on it - I also use it for planing a shot with the SL66; very convenient, that all parameters are saved (important for the light condition) and even the GPS-position, so the phone can lead me right to the location.
The first roll out of my 35er will decide wether my confidence in shooting analog is back or I still have to test a bit.
At least the last rolls out of my SL66 and 6008AF gave proof to me that the cameras work perfect :)

Which kind of film do you take for indoors - 400 or 800? Or do you fix the 35er to a flash?

Uwe
😃
CarlosMFreaza
2014-02-15 22:12:37 UTC
Uwe:
I use ISO 400 films most of the times with the Rollei 35, for
every purpose; sometimes ISO 200 and ISO 100 rarely. I like to shoot
indoors with natural light if possible, otherwise I use flash; I used
the Rollei 35 with tripod a few times.

The Rollei 35 has the flash hot shoe at the camera bottom and you need
to invert the camera position to take photographs with flash,
otherwise you could get ugly shadows. Anyway, using the right
supplementary hot shoe and flash bracket combo you can solve this
ergonomics issue easily. Electronic flashes were big and heavy when
the Rollei 35 was designed and F&H feared the camera top cover (that
protected some mechanisms) could suffer damage with the flash on it.
Rollei Fototechnic added a plate on the camera top cover and changed
the flash hot shoe position for the Rollei 35 special editions made
from about 1983.

I use an old manual flash with the Rollei 35 most of the times. It´s a
little and powerful "National PE-204" from Japan, you need to estimate
the distance for the flash to adjust the camera f stop, you also need
to estimate the focusing distance and then your estimation is useful
for the flash and for the focus.

CarlosMFreaza
2014-02-16 03:31:07 UTC
Post by CarlosMFreaza
,,,
I use an old manual flash with the Rollei 35 most of the times. It´s a
little and powerful "National PE-204" from Japan, you need to estimate
the distance for the flash to adjust the camera f stop, you also need
to estimate the focusing distance and then your estimation is useful
for the flash and for the focus...
Uwe et al.
These are some samples taken with the Rollei 35 Tessar and the
mentioned National PE 204 manual flash. They are "social" images
about a friends little meeting without minimal "artistic" purposes
BTW. Photographs were taken with the Rollei 35 in the inverted
position to keep the flash unit up. The first image was taken by a
friend of mine who never saw a Rollei 35, he had no problem to take it
in spite of the strange camera position (I adjusted the camera
focusing and f stop previously of course):

http://tinyurl.com/nvpwn24
http://tinyurl.com/orjur67
http://tinyurl.com/pp4xp5o
http://tinyurl.com/oxdfw9f
http://tinyurl.com/q2ojtw8

Carlos
Volker Muth
2014-02-16 09:58:59 UTC
Hallo Carlos,

last year I went to a lecture of the german photographer Thomas Wunsch. He takes photos and manipulate them in a way which make them similar to abstract paintings. His photos are also used especially for CD-Covers for ECM records https://www.ecmrecords.com/Startseite/startseite.php One of the interesting questions which came up in the audience was (of course) which camera equipment he uses for his photos. Because he mentioned that he worked analog till last year I expected a Mamiya RZ, RB or a Hasselblad but in fact his favorite camera was a Rollei 35 classic! You can see some of his pictures on his website http://wunsch-photography.com/works.html
From March 1st on he will have an exhibition in Heidelberg http://www.galerie-schiller.de

Kind regards,

Volker
______________________
Post by CarlosMFreaza
,,,
I use an old manual flash with the Rollei 35 most of the times. ItŽs a
CarlosMFreaza
2014-02-16 10:49:02 UTC
Hallo Volker:
Very interesting work, thank you for the links.
Some effects look made on the neg directly.

Kind regards,

Carlos
Post by Volker Muth
Hallo Carlos,
last year I went to a lecture of the german photographer Thomas Wunsch. He
takes photos and manipulate them in a way which make them similar to
abstract paintings. His photos are also used especially for CD-Covers for
ECM records https://www.ecmrecords.com/Startseite/startseite.php One of the
interesting questions which came up in the audience was (of course) which
camera equipment he uses for his photos. Because he mentioned that he worked
analog till last year I expected a Mamiya RZ, RB or a Hasselblad but in fact
his favorite camera was a Rollei 35 classic! You can see some of his
pictures on his website http://wunsch-photography.com/works.html
From March 1st on he will have an exhibition in Heidelberg
http://www.galerie-schiller.de
Kind regards,
Volker
______________________
,,,
PaintingWithLenses
2014-02-16 12:44:53 UTC
Hi Carlos,

thx for the examples - I think the flash and the 35er is a good combo for this depth.
Btw - who digitizes those photos with what and which resolution?
I tried several services here in Germany, got some huge files from my 6x6s - about 200megs or so and with a resolution that looked more like Monet :(

Uwe
😃
National PE-204
CarlosMFreaza
2014-02-16 15:34:03 UTC
Hi Uwe:
The resolution has to do with the final product. If you
want to get digital prints from your digitalized film work (or any
digital image), there is a relationship between print size-file
size-printer resolution in DPI and the print quality. If you have a
huge file, you can reduce the image resolution (resolution=image size)
to improve the image quality. This is an useful scanning and printing
calculator:
http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

I currently scan my negs and slides with an Epson v700 flatbed scanner
Better results could be obtained with a rotative drum scanner or
virtual rotative drum scanner like the Hasselblad or even with some
excellent dedicated film scanner like the Nikon 9000 (I say
"excellent" because the Epson v700 is better than some cheap film
scanners), however the excellent dedicated film scanners are no longer
in production, at least it's the case for the Nikon film scanners.
Anyway, I could say a v700 is enough for most purposes even if you are
an advanced amateur. BTW, I also have a Kaiser 6x6 enlarger with
Schneider lenses waiting to be used for B&W optical prints.

For a practical example, five or six years ago we published as Rollei
users a Blurb book with our photographs. I scanned the images for the
book with my former Epson 4490 flatbed scanner, the standard images
size were 1500x1500 pixels (about 2,3 Megapixels). The printed book
shows decent images regarding printing quality, this is a book
preview:
http://www.blurb.com/books/229684-rollei-users

Carlos
Post by PaintingWithLenses
Hi Carlos,
thx for the examples - I think the flash and the 35er is a good combo for this depth.
Btw - who digitizes those photos with what and which resolution?
I tried several services here in Germany, got some huge files from my 6x6s - about 200megs or so and with a resolution that looked more like Monet :(
Uwe
😃
Post by CarlosMFreaza
National PE-204
---
Rollei List
Uwe Wolfgang Steinke
2014-02-22 12:02:19 UTC
Hi Carlos,

thank you for the links:) The Scanning resolution calculator will be a
great help for the next photos to be processed.

I like the book a lot - not only because of the beautiful pictures but also
it's good to see, that I'm not the only photographer around that has lots
of interests;
I like showing buildings the way I *feel *their structure - not the way
they are designed on paper,
people are interesting motifs to me, when showing their *souls *- not an
unnatural smile,
lasershows photographed at the correct speed are one of my specialties,
tricking the eye with a special view-angle is fun to look at - my so
called April pictures:)
and a lot more that's for sure..

I was just looking for the range-finder-card for Rollei 35ers and saw that
someone back in April 2013 lost the link.
Here it is now, the Human Rangefinder Card GeneratorBy Thomas
Achtemichuk<***@tomchuk.com>
http://tomchuk.com/misc/rf/

Have fun:)

Uwe
Post by CarlosMFreaza
[...]
Post by CarlosMFreaza
National PE-204
---
Rollei List
---
Rollei List
Uwe Wolfgang Steinke
CarlosMFreaza
2014-02-22 11:25:17 UTC
The black neck swan (Cygnus melancoryphus) is typical from South
America, it's the smallest swam within the swans family:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12686859254/

The austral flamigo (Phoenicopterus chilensis) :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/12686402965/

Carlos
Carlos
CarlosMFreaza