In case anyone needs to get closer
Thor Legvold
2014-03-06 21:32:52 UTC
there’s a Zeiss 1000/f8 (yes, 1000mm) PQ lens on sale on eBay. (Item number
310537486534). No relation/interest in the seller or sale.

Of course, all that magnification comes at a price. They’re asking €28,495.- for it ($39500.-)

I could think of thousands of ways to get closer for a lot less money, but the lens may have some historcal value as well, there can’t be all that many of them made in the first place.

Just thought I’d get us off of the 35SE chat and back to medium format, at least for a little bit.

Thor
John Wild
2014-03-06 23:05:39 UTC
Thor,

I am sure that very few were made for the SL66, let alone the SLX/6000 and even fewer for the SL2000/3000. This PQ would be one of the few of the few. Taking a guestimate, I would suggest that there would be less than the fingers on one hand in PQ fitting…

When you can spend 20,000 euros for a Hy6 and digital back, what’s another 28,000 euros for a lens between friends ;-))

John
Post by Thor Legvold
there’s a Zeiss 1000/f8 (yes, 1000mm) PQ lens on sale on eBay. (Item number
310537486534). No relation/interest in the seller or sale.
Of course, all that magnification comes at a price. They’re asking €28,495.- for it ($39500.-)
I could think of thousands of ways to get closer for a lot less money, but the lens may have some historcal value as well, there can’t be all that many of them made in the first place.
Just thought I’d get us off of the 35SE chat and back to medium format, at least for a little bit.
Thor
---
Rollei List
CarlosMFreaza
2014-03-07 11:35:38 UTC
That price is almost incredible. The same lens for the SL66 costs
Euros 5700 here:
http://tinylink.net/zz9sk

The Carl Zeiss 8/1000 was available in QBM for 35mm from 1983.
There also is a catadioptric version, the CZ Mirotar 5,6/1000

Carlos
there's a Zeiss 1000/f8 (yes, 1000mm) PQ lens on sale on eBay. (Item number
310537486534). No relation/interest in the seller or sale.
Of course, all that magnification comes at a price. They're asking EURO 28,495.- for it ($39500.-)
John Wild
2014-03-07 22:41:59 UTC
I have a 500mm f5.6 for my SL66. It cost about £200 at a camera fair when bought with other lenses.

It is a brilliant lens. I have not used it much because the SL66 with that lens is cumbersome and more suited to a tripod, but it is good for sports. I have used it hand held to fast pan when the momentum keeps the camera motion steady. The big downside is that it is pre-set and so would the 1000mm lens - it takes a bit of foreword planning… The lens also relies on the focus bellows of the SL66 and fully extended ‘close’ focusing really brings out the detail and gives a very pleasing perspective.

The 1000 PQ lens is fully auto and becomes much more of a useable lens. Whether 25k Euros or 5k Euros it is very expensive - unless you have a use for it.

The 6000 series 500mm lens is f8 so it is nothing special as far as speed is concerned.

As has been suggested about a professional 'DIY' conversion - for the price of a 1000mm SL66 lens and say a 250mm 6000 series lens to butcher by taking out the shutter mechanism and focus helical together with a tube of super glue ;-)) a working 1000mm PQ fitting lens would cost about a third of the price and be every bit as good…

The lens could be constructed in such a way that it was adaptable back to SL66 and further to 3003 (with focussing bellows). That starts to make the purchase price more bearable… I would fancy the challenge but the bearer of the purse strings would find suitable reason to prevent such a folly... ;-)

John

Carlos
CarlosMFreaza
2014-03-08 11:46:01 UTC
John:
The f8/500mm also looks an impressive lens really. I could
try to buy a Zeiss Sonnar 5,6/250mm for my SL66, but I prefer to wait
the chance for a 150mm lens in our local market, to use it for
portraits. It's necessary a good reason to invest in so specific
lenses like these ones, as you wrote.

BTW, there is a "66/35" Rollei adapter to use SL66 lenses on 35mm
camera with QBM bayonet; I think it's a rare but very interesting
accesory if you have SL66 lenses and QBM cameras. There is a sample in
my "Rolleiflex SL35 System" blog, it's a Rolleiflex 3003 with a SL66
CZ Distagon 4/50mm retro mounted via the adapter (you need to reach
the "Lens Mount adapters" section, obtaining a larger size clicking on
the image):

http://rolleiflexsl35system.blogspot.com.ar/

Carlos
Carlos
John Wild
2014-03-08 18:12:01 UTC
Carlos,

I managed to find one of those adapters on Ebay. The seller did not know what it was and so did not describe it properly - I think he called it “a Rollei extension ring". That was to my advantage because, from the photo, I immediately knew that it was a sl66 to QBM adapter. I bought it for £45 which I thought was a good price. I think the list price had been about £800. Rollei Fototechnic did have a new one at the time because I asked about some other accessories that they still had available. I did see another of these adapters that had been butchered to convert it to a Hasselblad to QBM adapter. The price asked was about £800 from memory.

It is used as the extension focusing helical for the SL66 lens. The image is of good quality because it is only the centre portion of the lens that is used. I have also tried it on my Canon 400D using a QBM to Canon digital adapter - the SL66 adapter is larger diameter than the thin adapter to the Canon digital and so it was very difficult to get separated afterwards

I have found that using any QBM lenses on the Canon digital it is difficult to focus because the screen on the Canon is not designed for manual focus.

A focus confirmation adapter is not technically possible for QBM to Canon digital because of the position of the QBM stop down pin. I have thought about buying a focus confirmation chip and trying to fit it to the adapter by rotating the lens position. This is still in my ‘project requiring further thought’ folder! I did see a QBM to Canon adapter advertised with focus confirmation but the photograph did not look as if it was a QBM fitting. I did a quick search and did not find one made in China but someone may be producing one now.

John
Carlos
CarlosMFreaza
2014-03-08 21:09:43 UTC
I'm glad you have one of these adapters, John; they are rare indeed, I
think you payed an excellent price. I did not find this adapter in
Prochnow's books, but I found it in a Rollei brochure. It works fine
the same way a Rolleikin works fine, because the best part of the lens
is used only.

This is a very interesting CZ article about manual lenses used on AF
cameras, the right fousing screens replacements for manual focus in AF
cameras (digital or film) are suggested:

http://lenses.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/website/photography/what_makes_the_difference/manual_focusing.html

Carlos
John
Hauke Fath
2014-03-07 13:49:13 UTC
Post by Thor Legvold
there’s a Zeiss 1000/f8 (yes, 1000mm) PQ lens on sale on eBay. (Item number
310537486534). No relation/interest in the seller or sale.
Of course, all that magnification comes at a price. They’re asking
€28,495.- for it ($39500.-)
I guess you can pay an engineer to custom-build such a lens, and still
go cheaper...
Post by Thor Legvold
Just thought I’d get us off of the 35SE chat and back to medium
format, at least for a little bit.
Heh! I for my part greatly enjoyed the discussion about an aspect of
Rollei history that usually sees little attention.

Good light
Chris Burck
2014-03-07 20:56:12 UTC
$40 per mm, seems perfectly reasonable to me. : /