Rollei 35 mm SLR Flange focal distance...Now Carl Zeiss answer direct to me:
CarlosMFreaza
2014-09-09 20:04:58 UTC
I asked the Rollei SL35 flange issue to Carl Zeiss Camera Lenses
directly, this is the answer I received a few minutes ago:

"Ihre Anfrage (Absender: ***@yahoo.com.ar) vom 09.09.2014:

"Dear Carlos Manuel,

Thanks for your inquiry.
According to our recordings, the standard flange focal distance of the
vintage Rollei 35mm system (QBM) was 44.50mm.
Of course, some lens types (especially telephoto lenses) were adjusted
with a longer flange focal distance, to compensate material elongation
due to extreme temperatures.

For further details, please do not hesitate to contact us.

With Best Regards

Bertram Hönlinger

Carl Zeiss AG
Camera Lens Division
Kundencenter / Customer Care Center / PHO-VC
Kundensupport / Customer Support

Bertram Hönlinger

Carl-Zeiss-Straße 22 - 73447 Oberkochen
Telefon/Phone: +49 7364 20-6175
Fax: +49 7364 20-4045
Email: ***@zeiss.com
http://www.zeiss.de/photo

Carl Zeiss AG
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Dieter Kurz
Vorstand: Dr. Michael Kaschke (Vorsitzender),
Dr. Hermann Gerlinger, Dr. Ludwin Monz, Thomas Spitzenpfeil
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Oberkochen, Deutschland
Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 501 555, USt-IdNr: DE 811 119940"

I forgot Prochnow's Rollei Technical Report book yesterday, I found
" 4. Adjust and check infinity- setting and optical axis (with gaugue
and on collimator).
Plane measurement and optical axis measured with gaugue L-8613: 44,67
+ 0,02mm . Note: Measured from lens contact surface of bayonet ring to
the pressure plate-plane"
"Focusing screen Plane measured with collimator
44,50 +/- 00,3mm = 0 +/- 3 graduations (75/80 scale)"
I add that the figures from "0" are for the Rollei collimator
And then both figures 44,67mm and 44,50mm are used for the Rolleiflex
SL35 cameras optical adjustment, the first one for the lens register
and the second one for the focusing screeen plane.
I think 44,67mm is the figure to keep in mind for a QBM lens adapter
to a non QBM camera.
Carlos
Perhaps it would be necessary to clarify if Dirk needs the back focal
distance, 44,50mm to assure a right focus for the QBM lenses with the
adapter for Canon, or if the mechanical distance 44,67mm is enough to
assure it or if both distances are the same for practical purposes.
yesterday and they give the back lens distance to film in their
technical info, f.e. according the Planar 1.4/50 Contax /Yashica
technical sheet the lens back distance "to film" is 45,50mm (there are
no technical sheets on line for QBM lenses).
Carlos
This is the Contax/Yashica mount Planar 1.4/50 lens technical sheet,
it could give an idea baout the way Carl Zeiss measures the 44.50mm
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/contax_yashica/planar1-4_50mm_yashica_e.pdf
Carlos
D***@dlr.de
2014-09-09 20:44:17 UTC
Carlos,
you are unbelievable!
You not only sent your VSL3 E from South America to FFS in Braunschweig, Germany, for full refurbishment, you are also enquiring data from Carl Zeiss and obtain a qualified answer in short time.
And honestly, I am wondering that Zeiss has this data in hands.

Dirk-Roger Schmitt

[...]

Carl Zeiss confirmed as flange distance for the QBM 44,50mm as I
wrote yesterday and they give the back lens distance to film in
their technical info, f.e. according the Planar 1.4/50 Contax
/Yashica technical sheet the lens back distance "to film" is 45,50mm
(there are no technical sheets on line for QBM lenses).
Carlos
This is the Contax/Yashica mount Planar 1.4/50 lens technical sheet,
it could give an idea baout the way Carl Zeiss measures the 44.50mm
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcente
r/contax_yashica/planar1-4_50mm_yashica_e.pdf
Carlos
---
Rollei List

- Post to ***@freelists.org

- Subscribe at rollei_list-***@freelists.org with 'subscribe'

CarlosMFreaza
2014-09-09 21:09:56 UTC
Dirk:
I'm surprised too, I sent the question this morning and
received the answer this afternoon, however they also were very kind
last year when I asked about the manufacture year for an old Sonnar
2/50 lens, I have no doubt CZ has the data, they manufactured QBM
lenses for Rollei from the beginning and had a joint-venture with
Rollei to manufacture lenses in the former Voigtlaender factory. CZ
has the data from the lens point of view; the Rollei Technical Report
(they are instructions taken from the factory technical papers) talk
about the camera mechanical adjustments to get a right optical
register. Carl Zeiss has only one figure for their lenses flange, as
we can see in the technical sheets, and then 44,50mm must be right
from the lens point of view (BTW, I'm not an expert in fine mechnics
and i?m not an expert about optics).

Carlos
D***@dlr.de
2014-09-09 22:17:02 UTC
My points now:

If a lens maker says, the flange focal distance is, for example 44,50 mm for QBM, or 44,00 mm for EF, this is the distance of best focus.
So then the camera maker has to take care which real distance of film (in the past) or digital sensor he has to design the camera body to obtain optimal sharpness in the image.
For me it makes more and more clear, that I have to trim my adapter to the 0.50 mm. Question is left to which tolerances.

Dirk

Dirk-Roger Schmitt