Vintage Rolleiflex cameras revived by DHW Fototechnik at the Rollei factory
CarlosMFreaza
2014-10-02 11:53:01 UTC
The UK DHW Rollei dealer is selling old Rolleiflex TLR cameras rebuilt
by DHW at the Rollei factory in Braunschweig:

http://rolleiflex.co.uk/product-category/factory-rebuilt/

Carlos
Hauke Fath
2014-10-02 19:26:28 UTC
Post by CarlosMFreaza
The UK DHW Rollei dealer is selling old Rolleiflex TLR cameras rebuilt
by DHW at the Rollei factory in Braunschweig: [Link]
Thanks for sharing, Carlos.

This is certainly a way of keeping their repair shop busy and
profitable, and an alternative for those who find the pearl-studded
golden snakeskin models all too ridiculous. I have long felt that I'd
much prefer a professionally rebuilt 3,5F or 2,8F over any of the TLRs
that came out of Braunschweig after the demise of Franke & Heidecke.

OTOH, 12 months of warranty (i.e. the legal minimum for commercially
traded used products in the EU) are pretty poor, and do not speak of
much confidence in the camera. Of course, you never know when the
current incarnation of Rollei will time out...

hauke
--
Hauke Fath <***@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
Ernst-Ludwig-Straße 15
Germany
John Wild
2014-10-02 22:01:02 UTC
Carlos, Hauke,

Paul Lamb has recently set up those websites. He proposes to import the current range of Rolleiflex and Rollei 35 cameras to the UK. He also sees a market for factory reconditioned TLR cameras because of the cost of buying new.

He is coming to the Club Rollei meeting in Bosham, West Sussex, UK later this month. He proposes to bring some cameras along to demonstrate and test and give an update on the latest developments at DHW. He is in contact with Hans Hartje at the factory and also Eric Hiss - Rolleiflex US.

There was a recent comment on Rollei.org.uk from a photographer/repairer in Brazil, saying that there are a lot of Rollei users and cameras over there and they feel that they do not see any Rollei action. I replied that there a number of groups around the world and suggested making contact...

John
CarlosMFreaza
2014-10-03 00:44:30 UTC
John:
I think factory reaconditioned TLR cameras look a good idea
if things are not too late for DHW...

Carlos
Post by John Wild
[...]
---
Rollei List
CarlosMFreaza
2014-10-03 00:39:54 UTC
I agree Hauke.
I think 12 months of warranty is right, they are cameras made 50 or 60
years ago. Brand new Hasselblad digital cameras also have 12 months of
warranty in B&H NYC.

Carlos
tom rogers
Sven Keller
2014-10-03 11:00:32 UTC
I wonder how they (or if they) "revive" the meter cells.
"(including exposure meter needle movement renewal)" is a weird description.

Regards,

Sven

2014-10-03 13:14:29 UTC
The "...exposure meter needle movement renewal..." would be the only
reason I'd send my 3,5F to them. If the cause for the lightmeter
failure is the selenium cells, perhaps they replace the selenium
element in the cells, since Gossen no longer manufactures the original
cells for the TLR and new old stock selenium cells could be dead or
close to be dead; otherwise, selenium cells could be replaced by
silicon solar cells, as described here:
http://www.thermojetstove.com/Autoeye/meter.htm

If the cause for the lightmeter failure is mechanical, it would be an
easy repair for the factory.

Carlos
Sven Keller
2014-10-03 16:16:04 UTC
Well well, it is not that easy. The characteristic of a silicon cell is totally different to that of a selenium cell. It is well possible to make it match the correct reading at "sunny 16", but it will then most probably be off at other light levels.
If you are interested in the subject you may wish to read my story at
http://www.meinezersaegtenkameras.de/E%20F%20meter.html

Regards,

Sven

---- CarlosMFreaza schrieb ----
2014-10-03 18:03:06 UTC
Sven:
Thank you for the page I recall your excellent and
interesting work replacing the original F meter converting it into an
electronic lightmeter using a battery and a circuit board, the camera
became almost a GX/FX. The conversion using silicon solar cells for
the Olympus Autoeye II selenium lightmeter in the page I mentioned,
did not require a circuit board and did not require a battery, it was
made adding some resistences and calibrating the lightmeter and using
a specific solar cell with specific technical features, it was not any
silicon solar cell; I don't know if a similar work could be done on a
F camera. I don't think it's an easy work to replace the selenium cell
with a non original cell or to change the selenium element in the
cell, I only wrote that if the cause for the lightmeter failure was
mechanical, it would be easy for the factory to repair ir.

Anyway, any solution for my 3.5F lightmeter is beyond my knowledge and
ability, I only enjoyed it for one year after it returned from Harry
Fleenor in California because the cell started to lose accuracy. I'd
like to have my 3.5F lightmeter working right, but I'm not worried
about it really.

Carlos