Neopan 400 in Ultrafin
Jan Decher
2014-08-18 19:22:47 UTC
Hi Folks,

I processed a roll of Neopan 400 from my Rolleiflex 3.5 E last weekend. Used a Kiindermann steel tank with Nikor insert. Processed in Ultrafin liquid 1:9 with a pre-rinse, Tetenal stop bath and Tetenal Superfix Plus fixer (4-5 minutes). Finished the film after 10 minute watering with 1 min in Agfa Agepon (2 %) and room-temperature air-drying.

See example at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mittelformat/14961186462/lightbox/ (Altenberg Cathedral)

The film shows the same wavy streaks on a lot of pictures, but not all. Anyone know whats going on? Was it the pre-rinse with high PH tap water, light leak of the roll? Film touching itself in the can (loading error)???

I don't think the camera is to blame. Will know for sure tomorrow when I get a Portra 160 back that I shot in the camera after the Neopan. Very frustrating, especially for a series I shot in Leiden last week - not easy to replace! Here is one that looks halfway okay:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mittelformat/14775138267/lightbox/ (Leiden from the V&D cafeteria terrace).

Jan
Horace Trovato
Jan
Laurence Cuffe
2014-08-18 19:44:13 UTC
Sent from QCloud
Looks like a pretty distinct pattern, does it look the same on all the affected photos? Including placement?
Is there a gradual weakening of the defect image as you proceed either into the roll or out of the roll as placed in the processing tank ? This would implicate a light leak either loading or processing the film. I once saw something similar where I used the wrong solution to fix the film and I only realized my mistake as I examined the negatives after they came out of the wash. I got the wet film back in the reel in the dark and fixed it properly. Wet film loads OK onto wet reels.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe
Jan
Chris Burck
2014-08-18 19:52:07 UTC
Wavy streaks??? I see a very distinct geometric pattern, roughly
equivalent to. . . x‹ . I wouldn't expect something like that to result
from chemical or mechanical anomalies during processing. It seems to my
mind to be more indicative of some sort of irregularity during exposure, or
possibly even a "pre-fogging" of some sort during manufacturing.
CarlosMFreaza
2014-08-18 20:35:07 UTC
Wavy streaks??? I see a very distinct geometric pattern, roughly equivalent
to. . . x‹ . I wouldn't expect something like that to result from chemical
or mechanical anomalies during processing. It seems to my mind to be more
indicative of some sort of irregularity during exposure, or possibly even a
"pre-fogging" of some sort during manufacturing.
Jan:
I tend to agree with Chris through my own experience. I had a
similar situation with the Rollei SL66 due to uneven shutter working
during the exposure and it was the main reason I sent it for CLA last
year. Some shots started to show bands of different density and the
number of shots showing the problem were increasing, the pattern were
bands because we are talking about a focal plane shutter; the TLR has
a leaf central shutter and it could be the cause for the distinct
pattern, it could have to do with the shutter speed too. It looks like
the shutter leaves don't open and don't close using the same speed.
This is an opinion based on my experience, as I wrote above, but I
could be wrong for your case, I don't know.

Carlos
PS: Nice shots BTW.
Laurence Cuffe
2014-08-18 21:30:54 UTC
Hi Carlos,
I can easily see bands forming from a failing focal plane shutter, however looking at the pattern on the cows picture the only way I can see it happening from a faulty leaf shutter is if there was a pinhole from the centre of the focal plane shutter closing improperly, it might result in another image being placed on the film while the camera was resting. The "X shaped pattern which I see as a filled X and a Chevron of stray light on the film rather than increased exposure seems to be out of focus, and so I would be inclined to blame it on something which happened to the film out of the camera.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe
Sent from QCloud

On Aug 18, 2014, at 09:35 PM, CarlosMFreaza <***@gmail.com> wrote:

       > Wavy streaks??? I see a very distinct geometric pattern, roughly equivalent
       > to. . . x‹ . I wouldn't expect something like that to result from chemical
       > or mechanical anomalies during processing. It seems to my mind to be more
       > indicative of some sort of irregularity during exposure, or possibly even a
       > "pre-fogging" of some sort during manufacturing.

Jan:
I tend to agree with Chris through my own experience. I had a
similar situation with the Rollei SL66 due to uneven shutter working
during the exposure and it was the main reason I sent it for CLA last
year. Some shots started to show bands of different density and the
number of shots showing the problem were increasing, the pattern were
bands because we are talking about a focal plane shutter; the TLR has
a leaf central shutter and it could be the cause for the distinct
pattern, it could have to do with the shutter speed too. It looks like
the shutter leaves don't open and don't close using the same speed.
This is an opinion based on my experience, as I wrote above, but I
could be wrong for your case, I don't know.

Carlos
PS: Nice shots BTW.
---
Rollei List

- Post to ***@freelists.org

- Subscribe at rollei_list-***@freelists.org with 'subscribe'

CarlosMFreaza
2014-08-18 23:24:59 UTC
Hi Laurence:
A five leaves shutter with an oil drop affecting
two or three or four or five leaves could cause some strange effects
on the exposure. Anyway, the emulsion does not look good indeed,
perhaps you are right.
ISO 400 films are more sensitive to X rays than ISO 50 or ISO 100.
films. I lost the first three frames during a travel to Brazil in the
'90s due to X rays in the airport, I did not know at the time about
the way X rays affected the films in the airports ; it was an ISO 400
film and the X rays fogged the three first usable frames, X rays are
widely used today, including land freight transport.

Carlos
Laurence Cuffe

Jan Decher
2014-08-19 19:48:42 UTC
Thanks Everyone for your suggestions. Well, its NOT my trusty Rolleiflex 3.5E causing the pattern, I think, because I just got back a Portra 160 today , which I loaded after the last spoiled Neopan picture in Leiden, NL. The Portra looks perfect !

The airport x-ray suggestion sound plausible to me. This Neopan may have been x-rayed at least once or twice during the move here to Germany in 2012 and maybe also last fall during a flight to Italy. I am no longer using the lead bags after someone told me the x-ray people just crank up the dosage if they see a "big unpenetrable blob" in the picture (??). So this, and the film being relatively old & expired could be the problem. To narrow the problem I should probably shoot a roll of brand new TriX and process with same chemicals i the same Kindermann tank and see if things are okay.

'Hope to scan some of the Portra negs this week for you to see.

Cheers,
Jan
Bonn

P.S.: What's your thoughts on the best 400 ASA (120) film to replace my beloved Neopan 400? Ilford HP5, TriX?? I don't like very contrasty negs in my b&w shots.
Carlos
Georges Giralt
2014-08-20 03:47:48 UTC
Hello Jan,
It is hard to tell from the image on the computer, but to me the pattern
has a milky appearence whuch sugest improper fixing (to short a time or
exhausted fixer). It will cause no harm to refix a couple of images to
prove me right or wrong.
I've developed films (mostly Tmax 400 ) which has been Xrayed many times
in airports and which is out of date without any ill effects.
So try to re-fix the film and see what it gives.
Have a bright day !
--
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
Abraham Maslow
Any tool can serve as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel.
Richard Urmonas
2014-08-20 12:31:49 UTC
I am sure you will get more suggestions than there are films. Neopan
was a modern flat crystal film, so I think you best chance of getting a
similar look is with either Ilford Delta 400, or TMax 400. Perhaps
shoot a few rolls of each and see which you like.

Contrast is a function of developing time, so you will want to adjust
the development time to give the results you want.

Richard

Chris Burck
2014-08-20 20:14:06 UTC
Neopan was a modern flat crystal >film,
I thought that only Across was of the tabular type, and that all the rest
of the Neopan line were "traditional" emulsions.
mail1
2014-09-02 18:42:12 UTC
Fuji in 1986 published a one page leaflet stock # AB706, Ref. no.
AB-706E(SK.88.09.SA.MW) introducing Neopan 400 film

Fuji closed the document with a description of the film emulsion technology.

High-Efficiency Light Absorption Grain Technology

“ The High-Efficiency Light Absorption Grain Technology efficiently uses
light for optimized film performance. High-density iodine ions are
incorporated into the silver , enhancing halide crystals, greatly increasing
blue light absorption. Sensitizing dyes precisely and densely arrayed on the
halide particle surfaces, enhancing latent image formation and improving
green and red light absorption to balance with the increased blue light
absorption.”

Fuji introduced in 1988, Document Ref. No PB-811E9ESK-89-10.SA.MW),

their “New polymer Matrix and Imaging Sharpening Layer (ISL) Technology”
with the release of Neopan 1600.

“ Fuji previously introduced their “High Efficiency Light Particles” with
NEOPAN 400 Professional film for more efficient use of light to improve film
performance.

Now, Fiji proudly introduces advanced-type “High Efficiency Light
Particles thanks to the new Polymer Matrix Technology of our NEOPAN 1600
Professional film. Light response is maximized for increased film speed
without graininess or increase in processing times.

An Image Sharpening Layer fixes image sharpening dyes in place and at
high densities, thereby eliminating gray scale blurring and facilitating
prompt gye flow during processing, resulting in sharply defined pictures
every time.”

Fuji introduced Neopan 100 Acros data sheet AF3-083E

“World’s Highest Standard in Grain Quality

Through the incorporation of Fujifilm's new proprietary

.Super Fine-å Grain Technology., this film delivers the

world's highest standard in grain quality among ISO-

100 black-and-white films. Its fine grain, along with its

superb grain alignment and rich gradation, makes possible

smoother and sharper textural depiction, even in

big enlargements.

. Excellent Processing Characteristics

By incorporating the newly developed .P.I.D.C.

(Precision Iodine Distribution Control) Technology.,

NEOPAN 100 ACROS (120) provides stable processing

results not only during manual processing with all

kinds of developers and fixers, but in every type of

automatic processor as well.”

Previous to Acros Fuji produced NEOPAN SS 135 Data sheet AF3-411E

Fuji has been on the cutting edge of film technology. I have yet to find to
my liking a satisfactory replacement for NEOPAN 400 120 film.

Ilford used the term in ILFOPRO vol. 3 #4 fall 1995

“ ILFORD’s proprietary three-layer core shell crystal emulsion technology
that produces extremely fine grain and unparallel sharpness. “

Kodak Professional Black-and-White Films F-5 8-90 BX Describes Kodak T-GRAIN
“When the scientists at Kodak designed the silver-halide crystals for
T-GRAIN Emulsions, the shape of the crystals became an important factor in
film characteristics such as granularity and speed. The greater surface
area of TGRAIN Emulsion crystals improves speed without sacrificing fine
grain.”

Kodak included a electron microscopic photo of the T-GRAIN crystals verses
conventional silver-halide crystals. Obviously the T-GRAIN crystals are
better formed than the convention crystals, being larger in surface area
they appear to be flatter. They did not indicate scale or any information
regarding relative size or source of conventional crystals. I wonder about
this.

Maco Rollei R3 film description

“Cubic texture of silver halides instead of flat crystals”

I’m not sure my response clears up the issue surrounding “ flat crystals”.

Jonathan Ayers

mail1
2014-09-02 20:50:16 UTC
Error correction- ….” Sensitizing dyes are precisely and densely arrayed on

mail1
2014-09-04 03:53:46 UTC
Second error correction:

….” An Image Sharpening Layer fixes image sharpening dyes in place and at
high densities, thereby eliminating gray scale blurring and facilitating
prompt dye flow during processing, resulting in sharply defined pictures
every time.”

Richard Knoppow
2014-08-24 20:14:53 UTC
[...]

Do the streaks continue between frames? Can you see
anything by reflected light where the streaks are? If this
is from inadequate fixing there may be some silver halide
visible by reflected light from the emulsion side.
Re-fixing is always possible. The cut film can be fixed
in a tray (as was pointed out by someone else), just agitate
it as you would small prints or cut film. Soak the film in
plain water for about five minutes before re-fixing. This is
to insure even penetration of the fixer into the emulsion.
Then fix for a normal time. If you have a hypo clearing
agent use that and wash as directed. For fixing in a normal
acid fixing bath film should be washed for half an hour in
running water or in enough changes of water to take up half
an hour (about five changes with constant agitation).
Agepon as a final treatment is OK or you can use a Kodak
Photo-Flo (is it still made?) with about an ounce of 70%
rubbing alcohol added to a quart or liter of final rinse. If
you add the alcohol use about half the recommended amount of
Photo-Flo. I don't know if this works for Agepon but think
its about the same stuff.
If the film appears to have a deposit on it wipe it off
while the film is wet using cotton balls. It is possible for
film to have deposits of all sorts of stuff especially if
its old.
I think it unlikely this is from uneven development
since a pre-rinse was used. However, if film buckles in the
tank spools and the surface touches its possible. However, I
think then you would probably have both thin spots from lack
of development and some unfixed or semi-fixed areas.
A note on washing: The acid in acid fixer all by
itself tends to lengthen the washing time. This is because
it leaves the emulsion in an acid condition where it tends
to bind fixer and fixer reaction products. This is true even
if there is no hardening agent in the fixer. If an alum
hardener is used there is further binding from the aluminum
but this binding takes place only when the emulsion is acid.
So, if the emulsion is treated in a neutral bath it will
break both kinds of chemical bond and promote much faster
washing. Kodak used sodium sulfite neutralized with
bisulfite in Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent. This was both to
leave the emulsion in a neutral pH condition and also
because sulfite is an active ion exchanger which further
accelerates washing. Where KHCA or a similar bath such as
Ilford's wash aid, is used about five minutes is sufficient
to wash the film free of thiosulfate and fixer reaction
products. Where it is NOT used a half hour is recommended.
Further, the fixing bath must be reasonably fresh or it will
leave insoluble reaction products in the emulsion. KHCA and
similar treatments tend to break the bonds these reaction
products have so will to some degree compensate for somewhat
exhausted fixer.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles