Planar HFT 1,8/50 and Rolleiflex SL35 E
CarlosMFreaza
2014-06-28 12:59:52 UTC
When my father liked photography in the '50s and '60s, he always had
in his photographic suitcase the Rolleiflex 2.8C for B&W shots and a
Voss Diax IIb or a Leica IIIc for color shots (BTW, sometimes he used
the Rolleiflex for color shots and the 35mm cameras for B&W, but it
was not the general rule). Last week-end I put in my bag a 3,5F for
B&W shots and the Rolleiflex SL35 E for color shots, it was the first
time I used the SL35 E and its Planar HFT 1,8/50 lens. Camera and lens
worked fine (click on the upper arrows for a larger image):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/14332263329/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/14515472481/

Carlos
"Evan Dong" (Redacted sender "ejdong@yahoo.com" for DMARC)
2014-06-28 13:23:03 UTC
Carlos,

Nice photos especially the color photos. I see the richness of the color and the sharpness of the lens. Love the original box for the SL35E, you simply don't see that too often nowadays.

Nowadays the Rolleiflex QBM optics tend to be in the price range as the Contax Yashica offering. If are looking for additional lenses to add on, I would recommend looking for the 35mmF2.8 and the 85mmF2.8. These two are quite often available at decent prices.

The 25mmF2.8, 85mmF1.4 tend to be more pricy and harder to find. On the Rangefinder Forum, there are several threads about these optics with images highlighting its performance. Adapters for Canon EOS Digital SLR are available too.

Evan

On Saturday, June 28, 2014 9:02 AM, CarlosMFreaza <***@gmail.com> wrote:

When my father liked photography in the '50s and '60s, he always had
in his photographic suitcase the Rolleiflex 2.8C for B&W shots and a
Voss Diax IIb or a Leica IIIc for color shots (BTW, sometimes he used
the Rolleiflex for color shots and the 35mm cameras for B&W, but it
was not the general rule). Last week-end I put in my bag a 3,5F for
B&W shots and the Rolleiflex SL35 E for color shots, it was the first
time I used the SL35 E and its Planar HFT 1,8/50 lens. Camera and lens
worked fine (click on the upper arrows for a larger image):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/14332263329/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/14515472481/

Carlos
---
Rollei List

- Post to ***@freelists.org

- Subscribe at rollei_list-***@freelists.org with 'subscribe'

Raid
2014-06-28 13:59:59 UTC
Hi All,
I have been using QBM lenses since about twenty years now. My favorite is the 85/1.4 Panar. it has three aperture blades, which is same in the 35/1.4 Distagon. I use the Panar only wide open since the aperture blades are broken. I was unable to find a repairman with spare parts.

Sharpness and colors are fantastic.

The 50/1.4 and the 50/1.8 are also first class lenses.

Dr. Raid Amin

Sent from my iPad
CarlosMFreaza
2014-06-28 14:04:56 UTC
Hello Evan:
Rollei and Carl Zeiss had a joint-venture to develop
the Rollei HFT lens multicoating process in the '70s and according an
official CZ article in the Camera Lens News Magazine, Rollei HFT and
Carl Zeiss T* multicoating are the same for practical purposes, HFT
was prepared to be produced quicker than T* due to the larger lens
production at the Rollei Optical Co in Singapore, CZ lenses
manufactured by Carl Zeiss for Rollei also used the "HFT" name for the
lens multicoating process despite CZ used its own T* process, to keep
the same name for the Rollei lenses. Rollei Optical Co had a very
modern factory in Singapore and they used the Schott glass like CZ and
Schneider for the lenses produced there; in fact, Rollei Optical
manufactured some lenses for Schneider. There are no practical
differences for lenses produced in Germany and Rollei Singapore.

I also have some Rolleinar lenses made by Mamiya or under Mamiya
license for Rollei. Claus Prochnow thought these lenses were very
modern design by computer and as good as the CZ lenses in general
despite they were a cheaper lenses line. I have a Rolleinar MC
(Mamiya multicosted) 3,5/21mm WA lens, excellent, but too wide
sometimes;I also have the Rollenar MC (Mamiya) 2.8 135mm, a superb
lens and a Rolleinar 1,4/55 MC (Mamiya), a very good lens too. My
Rolleinar MC 3,5/200mm is an excellent Tele and the zoom Rolleinar MC
80-200mm (Tokina) is a good lens.

Thank you for your comment

Carlos
2014-06-28 17:31:55 UTC
Carlos,

I knew up to a certain point of this joint venture, as my main source of information came from Marc James Small "Zeiss Compendium"  .

I also learn a tad more form Jimmy Koh of Koh's Camera. He was one of the many Singaporean technican that was involved in the Singapore factory.

Now that you mention the source of the Zeiss Camera Lens News Magazine, I would be interested in getting a PDF version of that monthly News magazine. When was this article published and in which month 7 year?

Wasn't most of the technology purchased by Samsung in the mid to late 1990's? I recall there was an infusion or outright purchase of Rollei & Schneider for their technology....

Had the Rolleiflex 35mm SLR been more reliable and available spare parts were available, i would had purchase it. I been using my Contax 159MM and Aria with my assortment of Zeiss optics by Contax-Yashica. 28.2.8MM, 35mm1.4 AE, 35mm2.8 AE, 50mmF1.7AE, 50mmF1.4MM, 85mmF2.8AE, 85mmF1.4AE< and 135mmF2.8MM. I have the 35-70mmF3.4MM zoom lens.....

Evan

Ferdi Stutterheim
2014-06-28 18:45:24 UTC
Evan,
Try finding Camera Lens News Nr. 13, Spring 2001.
Best regards,
Ferdi.
From my iPhone
F.W. Stutterheim
Drachten, NL.
"ejdong@yahoo.com" (Redacted sender "ejdong@yahoo.com" for DMARC)
2014-06-28 18:56:01 UTC
Ferdi,

Thank You. I love to learn as much as possible.  Wish that some like Cosina made modern camera body for those orphaned Rolleiflex QBM optics.

Mamiya & Tokina makes some high quality optics as a viable 3rd party vendor.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
CarlosMFreaza
2014-06-28 20:00:22 UTC
Evan:
Ferdi is right. I reproduce this article at the end of one
of my blog entry about the Rolleiflex SL35 system:

http://rolleiflexsl35system.blogspot.com.ar/2011/06/rolleiflex-sl-35-system.html

Carl Zeiss association with Yashica allowed CZ to have zoom lenses
within their lenses line.
Carl Zeiss started to deliver multicoated lenses to Rollei in 1972 but
CZ did not mark these lenses as nulticoated, whilst Japanese lenses
marked this feature with big letters or icons. Rollei created the term
"High Fidelity Transfer", HFT to indicate the CZ lenses were
multicoated too; this issue forced Carl Zeiss to create the symbol T*
for their multicoated lenses, however they respected the HFT term for
the Rollei lenses and it was used for the Rollei multicoating process
too.(a CZ T* process adapted for a larger lenses production).

Carlos
2014-06-28 20:35:13 UTC
Carlos,

Thank You for sharing that link.  For me the only 35mm SLR link to any Zeiss optics would be my Contax-Yashica 35mmSLR system.
Otherwise I 'm also shooting with my Contax645 system too.
Too bad the Contax-Yashica product line is not represented as it was once on the Zeiss CLN magazine and website's archive.

Evan

CarlosMFreaza
2014-06-29 01:20:11 UTC
Evan:
CZ Contax Yashica lenses data sheets still are in the CZ website:

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/service/download_center/contax_yashica.html

Carlos

CarlosMFreaza
2014-06-29 15:57:10 UTC
These two were taken with the Tele Rolleinar (Mamiya) MC 3,5/200mm:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/14532796714/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/14534244475/

Carlos
Carlos
CarlosMFreaza
2014-07-12 11:51:12 UTC
Rolleinar MC 3,5/200mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/14633671252/

Planar HFT 1,8/50
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/14447514328/

Carlos
Carlos
"Evan Dong" (Redacted sender "ejdong@yahoo.com" for DMARC)
2014-07-12 12:42:54 UTC
Carlos,

How does the Rolleinar 200mm compares against the Tessar 200mmF4 and the CZJ 200mmF2.8 (M42)?

I use on my Contax Aria & 159MM two (M42) lenses. An older Pentax M-42 200mm F3.5 and the CZJ 200mm.

I like the CZJ 200mm for its sharpest.

Evan

CarlosMFreaza
2014-07-12 18:17:33 UTC
Evan:
I think it would be necessary a professional optical test to
tell the difference between these lenses. The Rolleinar (Mamiya)
3,5/200 is a moderner design than the Tele- Tessar 4/200 for Rollei
QBM; the Rolleinar has four elements and four groups, the Tele-
Tessar has six elements and five groups and it's a slower lens than
the Rolleinar. I could only say I'm very satisfied with the
Rolleinar/Mamiya about sharpness, contrast and color performance; I
don't know about the CZ Jena 2,8/200.
I'd like to mention the Pentax A SMC ED Green Star 2.8/200mm as a
superb lens within the 200mm teles, it has an Extra low Dispersion
element that works very well in conjunction with the "regular"
glasses, producing very "clean" images with "pure" colors (Im not
talking about sharpness), but it's a heavy lens.

Carlos
CarlosMFreaza
2014-07-12 17:35:33 UTC
The second image about the mission ruins is out of focus slightly;it
happened because I re-framed the subject and forgot to correct the
focusing, but I found interesting the image anyway. The difference is
more perceptible if you compare this shot with this one (same camera
and lens and similar subject):