The Rolleicord, with Xenar Schneider lens
CarlosMFreaza
2014-10-11 18:59:42 UTC
The Rolleicord is a comfortable MF camera to take photographs and the
Xenar Schneider 3,5/75 lens is a very good lens too; I miss the
'flexes f-stops and shutter speeds figures in the window on the top of
the viewfinder lens, I miss the button to release the shutter and the
film advance crank that cocks the shutter simultaneously, among
another little details, but I like to shoot the Rolleicord anyway.

I found an out of date Ilford Pan F ISO 50 somewhere at home and shot
it last week-end and developed it with the Romek PQ7
(phenidone-hydroquinone), this is the first scanning of the roll
(better seen the largest size):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/15319712068/

Carlos
Chris Burck
2014-10-12 02:57:36 UTC
It's Nessie! ; D
Post by CarlosMFreaza
https://www.flickr.com/photos/itarfoto/15319712068/
Carlos
---
Rollei List
'subscribe'
¡Ay, Pachamamita! ¡Eres la cosa más bonita!
CarlosMFreaza
2014-10-12 13:02:07 UTC
:-)
Post by Chris Burck
It's Nessie! ; D
Ferdi Stutterheim
2014-10-12 14:02:47 UTC
In that case her emigration to Argentina is a late "No" to Scottish independence. ;-)

Ferdi.
It's Nessie! ; D
---
CarlosMFreaza

Carlos
Richard Knoppow
2014-10-13 18:15:54 UTC
2014-10-14 00:56:19 UTC
Yes Richard, I agree with you beyond a few differences about details
Roleiflex vs Rolleicord handling. I also appreciate the Rolleicord IV
simplicity and effectiveness. I never looked for a Vb really, I
already had 'flexes...The Xenar 3,5/75 is a very good lens indeed, I
found that even the Rolleimagic Xenar 3,5/75, in spite of the focusing
through the first element, was an excellent lens too.

Carlos
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2014 9:41 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: The Rolleicord, with Xenar Schneider lens
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
Richard Knoppow
2014-10-14 01:21:27 UTC
2014-10-14 16:13:26 UTC
My first TLR was also a Ciroflex, also in poor condition (did they ever come any other way?) which during the mid 1950s I used to earn enough money for a Rolleicord V. That was with me until it got trashed in a caving trip for which purpose it was very much not the right camera. That was replaced by a Va that I used all through my college years. By then my skills had advanced enough for me to discern it had an excellent Xenar lens, but when I sold it off did not realize they didn’t all come that way. Over decades a succession of ‘cords came in and out of my hands, all with okay Xenars, but it wasn’t until the late 1980s that I found another standout Xenar, this time on an MX-EVS 'flex. Suffice it to say I still have that one.

Of all my ‘cords, however, I must say my favorite for handling was the V. The one I liked least was a III because no matter what handling drill I attempted, there was always a double exposure on every roll or two. Once I lent it to someone with the faint hope it might not be returned, but unfortunately, it was. Actually, that took place during this event, my photos of which now on display as part of an exhibit at the Ohio State University Tompkins Library. Although I had the Rolleicord with me, I used a Kodak Retina IIa 35mm for everything, so was willing to farm out the ‘cord for the occasion.

The exhibit:

http://library.osu.edu/innovation-projects/omeka/exhibits/show/civil-rights

my Selma to Montgomery photos:

http://library.osu.edu/innovation-projects/omeka/exhibits/show/civil-rights/sections/selma-to-montgomery-march

About the photographer, pix, slideshow, etc.

http://library.osu.edu/innovation-projects/omeka/exhibits/show/civil-rights/sections/item/195

The web site is a little clunky, but the exhibit itself looks pretty good. To be honest, my part of it was shoehorned into a presentation that was basically about events and movements culminating in the 1964 Civil Rights Act. My pix were from the 1965 Selma to Montgomery march that resulted in the Voting Rights Act, but hey, their decision, and I’m all for the exposure. They did a good job of presentation, I believe, although the prints and slides look much better in the original.
Some of you have seen these before, I believe.

Allen Zak
CarlosMFreaza

Allen Zak
2014-10-14 19:13:07 UTC
Thank you Carlos,
Glad you could work your way through that web site. I have yet to get the “slide show” to function.
In fact, I have a boatload of historically relevant material from the 1960s and 70s; social and political movements, personalities, artists, entertainers, lifestyles, etc. Now with more time on my hands, I must sort out and categorize all those prints, negatives and slides, a chore which I have neglected for decades. This happens to many photographers, I’m told, who hadn’t expected to be as old as they find themselves.

;-)

Allen
CarlosMFreaza
2014-10-14 22:58:46 UTC
Allen, the "slide show" did not work to me, I open and enlarged each
photograph. BTW, it would be very interesting and a contribution to
the history if you organize your valuable work following some
criteria.

The perfect Rolleicord to me would be a Rolleicord IV (it already has
double exposure control) with a focusing knob for the left hand; the
Rolleicord V adds the EVS and it could make decisions more complicated
because you know the system is there, you have no options with the IV
contributing to the camera simplicity; I look for optical quality and
mechanical simplicity in the Rolleicord.

Carlos
Allen Zak
2014-10-15 00:20:22 UTC
Carlos, I’ve been working on that lately. The Ohio State University chief archivist has invited me to assign all the materials to their institution, whose interns will do all the work of compiling, filing, whatever these people do. All I have to do is give them posession. Even though I would retain copyright, I just can’t let go.

Another reason I liked the V was that the EVS system was not locked and could be ignored, if necessary. Later models had the functions coupled. You’d have to press in on a tab to unlock it, something of a nuisance. But I never had an opportunity to handle a IV, and now it is irrelevant.
Initially, I went for Rolleicords rather than 'flexes because they were more affordable, but in time I got to appreciate their virtues and actually preferred them for many purposes. In the end, I transitioned to ‘flexes, which I used happily until succumbing to the digital. I still have the one MX-EVS, and maybe one day will take it out for another spin. Something else hard to let go.

Allen
Chris Burck
2014-10-15 19:55:37 UTC
Yes, Allen, I also enjoyed the Selma/Montgomery series. "Cooperate Social
Club". How wonderful is that?
¡Ay, Pachamamita! ¡Eres la cosa más bonita!
Chris Burck
2014-10-15 20:29:17 UTC
Oh, I meant to add, I think the V series (Va and Vb, esp.) are my favorite
'Cords. The film handling and viewfinder options make them much more
versatile than the earlier models. Plus, being left-handed, a TLR with
L-hand focus is preferable, by far.
Allen Zak

Hauke Fath
2014-10-22 08:24:28 UTC
Post by Allen Zak
Another reason I liked the V was that the EVS system was not locked and
could be ignored, if necessary. Later models had the functions coupled.
Youíd have to press in on a tab to unlock it, something of a nuisance.
Indeed, this is something that keeps annoying me about the Rolleiflex 4x4.
Setting the EV is finicky there, too.

hauke

--
"It's never straight up and down" (DEVO)

CarlosMFreaza