Rolleiflex SL 66 repaired
CarlosMFreaza
2014-06-27 15:55:58 UTC
I received my Rolleiflex SL66 and its Distagon 4/80 lens with the
Compur auxiliary shutter yesterday. I had sent it for CLA 14 months
ago with other cameras and lenses for the same purpose( a CZ Jena T*
1947 Sonnar 2/50 for the ContaxII; a Rollei 35S with a jammed lens
barrel, a Voss Diax IIa to adjust the telemeter; a Pentax P30t to
repair the mechanism to cock the shutter; a Planar HFT 1,8/50 to
repair the focusing ring).

These items were repaired within the 60 days, except for the SL66 and
its lens, they could only be "touched" by an engineer at"Casa
Schwarz", but he had a health problem ; he could work on the camera
and lens finally. It was calibrated, lubricated and adjusted the main
camera focal plane shutter, the focusing mechanism, the film advance
mechanism, the film magazine, the lens and the lens leaf Compur
shutter. The camera worked before the CLA, but several exposures got
different bands on the same frame due to uneven shutter working and
the film became harder to advance according you shot the frames. I
rarely use the lens auxiliary Compur shutter, however it had the
blades almost jammed and they were not 100% open sometimes, and was
able to cause some interference for the light pass. The camera is very
smooth to use now, but I need to try it with film yet.

Carlos
"ejdong@yahoo.com" (Redacted sender "ejdong@yahoo.com" for DMARC)
2014-06-27 17:21:12 UTC
Carlos,

I always like the SL66 and the images that it produced.
The Rolleiflex SL35M/E HFT optics had a very pleasing look to Its color rendition. Those images were sharp with superb color. I just wish that there were more available spare parts & better QC.

Otherwise glad to hear your good news!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
CarlosMFreaza
2014-06-28 00:48:46 UTC
Yes, I have two Planar HFT 1,8/50 now, excellent lens. I also have four QBM
cameras, Rolleiflex SL 35, Rolleiflex SL35M, Rolleiflex SL 35E and
VoigtlÀnder VSL3 E, they are working fine, only the VoigtlÀnder required a
major repair work in Germany , the SL35M needed a slight CLA and the SL35
and SL35 E are working fine from the beginning. Anyway, it's true these
cameras had some reliabilities issues and they were expensive cameras. I
don't think the problem was quality control, these cameras are very well
made, the SL 35 is a reliable camera, the SL35M and siblings had no a
proper development for different mechanisms (f.e. some too small parts in
spite of the camera large size, according comments) because they were based
on the ZI 701, a camera hardly produced for the market due to Zeiss Ikon
closure; and then it could be a design issue, not a quality control issue.
The SL35 E and VSL3 E and 2000 and 3000 cameras suffered the German
electronics industry problems at the time, they also affected the SLX
development and some Leica electronic models development too; the
electronic parts have good materials, but their working as electronic
systems failed sometimes, these general problems were solved for the 6000
system afterwards. The SL35E and sibling VSL3 E are delightful cameras to
use (if they work fine of course), better than any other camera from the
same time.

Carlos
<https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/mobile/?.src=Android>
------------------------------
Don Williams
2014-06-28 02:16:32 UTC
Anyway, it's true these cameras had some reliabilities issues and
they were expensive cameras. I don't think the problem was quality
control, these cameras are very well made, the SL 35 is a reliable
camera, the SL35M and siblings had no a proper development for
different mechanisms (f.e. some too small parts in spite of the
camera large size, according comments) because they were based on
the ZI 701, a camera hardly produced for the market due to Zeiss
Ikon closure; and then it could be a design issue, not a quality control issue.
Interesting thing about the 35s. I once had the opportunity to talk
about cameras with

David Breashears at a book signing near San Diego. I think it was
shortly after he had returned from that trip to Everest where he made
that first Everest IMAX film after rescuing several people and even
giving some folks some of his oxygen tanks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Breashears

Someone in our discussion group had a Rollei 35 hanging around his
neck and David said it was the only still camera he trusted and
carried on the Everest ascents. (Of course he did manage to get a
lightweight IMAX camera to the top and there is a picture of him
reloading the IMAX camera with bare hands.) I have the resulting
film in DVD form and it really fails to capture his, and his team's
sacrifice to save folks and still make the film.

I had always wanted a Rollei 35 and wanted to own one after that
meeting but it was not to happen.

Check the Wikipedia site above and also do a search on his name,
truly an outstanding guy and photographer.

Regards to all,
DAW
CarlosMFreaza
2014-06-28 11:41:27 UTC
Don:
Your comment about the Rollei 35 is very interesting really,
however we were talking about the 35mm Rolleiflex _reflex_ cameras,
SLR.

Carlos
DAW
"Evan Dong" (Redacted sender "ejdong@yahoo.com" for DMARC)
2014-06-28 12:59:56 UTC
Good Morning Carlos,

I find the optics used in the Rollei products, being either for 35 P&S, 35 Rangefinder, 35 SLR, MF TLR, and Medium format SLR, has met and exceed most everyone's expectation of its superb performance.

Based on what I saw in your list of 35 SLR optics, do you any preferences toward which optics? Meaning the West Germany manufacture and the Singapore HFT manufacture?
One of my friend used the Rolleiflex SL35M along another SL35E, but with majority of the newer Singapore HFT lenses. I still have several of his prints shot form those lenses and the color are truly eye popping...  Majority of them were all C41 film that was printed on a calibrated NORITSU printer. He insisted on have a calibrated printer before submitting his work to be printed. Always asked for the target balancing test result before giving his order.

Some of his best work was done at sunset where he took advantage of the natural lighting with balancing filters and of course a good flash...

Because of the reliability issue of the camera bodies as you mentioned, I ventured into the Contax Yashica offering of Zeiss optics. Majority of my optics are the Japanese optics with MM designation. On occasion, I use some of my finer M42 optics on it with the M42 adapter.

Evan

- Post to ***@freelists.org

- Subscribe at rollei_list-***@freelists.org with 'subscribe'