B&W film developing
Thor Legvold
2014-05-11 22:00:44 UTC
Quick question for the people here on the list(s).

I’m working on getting my exposure and developmen dialed in, and have read some conflicting info.

"Expose for shadows, develop for highlights" seems to be the mantra.

Ansel would like every exposure to be visualized, exposed accordingly and developed individually to adjust for contrast. But he used sheet film with 40’s - 50’s emulsions. Some online articles say it doesn’t really matter with modern B&W films and you can’t adjust development for a frame on a roll anyway.

With roll-film and more a more modern emulsion (using APX100 and Tri-X 400), how applicable/neccessary is the full-on zone system?

I’ve been testing “placing” values on different frames and have tried developing at both 5 minutes and 7 minutes, Rodinal 1:25 at 24C in a Jobo (constant agitation). Both tests seemed to provide good results, and now I’m curious how precise I need to be to get the best overall negative with as much printable information as possible. With both nice tonality and good contrast.

My current setup doesn’t allow me to print yet, and I wonder if there’s any way to use f.x. a scanner to measure density or at least confirm that I’m getting the most out of my negatives. I do plan on printing them on paper at some point, but first want to get my exposure and development down as ideally as possible. Sending them off to a lab to have them measured on a densiometer is also an option, if that’s the way to go.

Maybe some of the hardcore analogue guys can weigh in? Daniel, Sanders, Slobodan, Dan?

Thanks,
Thor
Jon Stanton

Chris Burck
2014-05-12 00:41:07 UTC
It's pretty amazing what a scanner can pull out of a negative. I've had a
few disasters, begs that i'd have never imagined held anything printable.
But when I was done scanning, sure as heck, there was an image there,
albeit with rather limited tonal scale. My printing experience is almost
nil, so I have no idea what a skilled darkroom worker would've been able to
do, but the scanner (a super cheap clone of a amateur-level microtek--i
think) sure impressed me.

So if your negs are anywhere within a couple stops of being correctly
exposed, I imagine you'll be more than fine. Might require a little more
curves work, is all. And if there's anything like HDR for scanned images,
you probably almost can't go wrong.
Chris Burck
2014-05-12 00:48:23 UTC
Thor,

I've reread your Post, and now realize that I didn't really answer the
question you were asking. My apologies.

Re using a scanner to measure density, if you're really exposing well, it
seems unlikely that you could do this. IINM, scanners typically have less
dynamic range than film. I suppose there might be some sort of technique,
but it would probably require multiple scans and, from there, I have no
idea how you'd interpret the results.

But this is kind of "above my pay grade", so I should probably stop talking
now. . . .
John Wild
2014-05-12 10:57:01 UTC
Thor,

I did a test some years ago with Ilford FP4 and decided ISO 80 worked best for me when developed in Ilfosol S for standard time. I now expose all my B&W at - 1/3 ISO to give a bit extra in the shadows. I have resorted to Rodinal because it seems to keep for ever-and-a-day undiluted in an open bottle (certainly 10 years) - and I like the results.

For a negative scan that I want to get a bit more out of, I make multiple scans, adjusting exposures to get all the dynamic range available using the scanner’s software histogram (Minolta Scan Multi-Pro with Minolta software). Although the dynamic range of the scanner should be able to get all the detail in one pass (D-max 4.2), it does not seem to. Scanning as a transparency gives an unprocessed scan. The scans are default 16-bit; I then reduce to 8-bit in Photoshop and use Photomatix HDR software to amalgamate them to 16-bit files (Photomatix cannot play with 16-bit images – probably too memory hungry). I then make adjustments back in Photoshop and get the images professionally printed. I have never been able to get colour cast free inkjet prints (I have a Canon i950 with 6 inks). I have worked out that by the time I buy a decent printer and do some test prints to get a ‘perfect’ print, I will have used up my pension. ;-)

So I send them away, which probably does not cost much more than a home grown inkjet print.

A multiple scan definitely produces more in the highlights and shadows which are visible on the negative. It takes longer to do but then so would dodging and burning in the darkroom.

I too prefer the smell and watching the image appear but digital dark room has the advantage that you can go off and have a cup of coffee when the need arises and come back again and make minor adjustments to what you have already done – nothing wasted up to that point.

On the whole I do not like HDR digital camera images; I feel that most have been over done and are totally false because there is too much detail. Using a negative, there can only be what is available from the negative from one single exposure. Multiple digital images only works for movement free subjects. With a negative, movement can be captured and images have more ‘feeling’.

These are some of my opinions anyway ;-)

John

Dan Daniel
2014-05-12 01:15:40 UTC
Post by Thor Legvold
With roll-film and more a more modern emulsion (using APX100 and Tri-X 400), how applicable/neccessary is the full-on zone system?
Technically, it isn't possible to do a full-on Zone system with roll
film Unless you use a camera with interchangeable backs like a
Hasselblad and carry 5 backs with you. Or you use a single back and
only shoot a particular dynamic range for each roll of film- 12 Normal+2
shots only today!

There is a program for doing B&W prints using special inksets on inkjet
printers- QTR, quad tone RIP-
http://www.quadtonerip.com/html/QTRoverview.html

It contains methods for developing ICC profiles and using a scanner. I
can't begin to tell you how it works or how well it works, but I will
pass it along if you want to explore if it is applicable for what you
need. One person, Paul Roark, has various articles on using QTR, and one is-
http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/QTR-Flatbed.pdf
Kirk Thompson
2014-05-12 04:45:27 UTC
Work-around for 120:

Do the regular zone tests with a compensating-type developer;
Expose for shadow detail (Zone III);
Unless you know the light was flat for the whole roll, develop everything at N-2;
Print to place highlights where they belong, with nice Zone VII-toward-VIII gradation (split-filter printing, if necessary).

Or scan and use a Curve to place the Zones where they belong in an inkjet print. Print on Harman Warmtone Gloss adding the tiniest pinch of Red for warmth. Results will look very close to classic Portriga. Current printers with three black inks do a lovely job on this - you don't need a special inkset.

Kirk

Sent from my iPad
Don Williams
2014-05-12 01:26:24 UTC
Post by Thor Legvold
Quick question for the people here on the list(s).
I used to have a densitometer that was originally intended on
measuring exposure on nuclear workers film badges. I recall that it
had a pretty large dynamic range but I never did much with it.

I do have a scanner and have used in on negatives, flat stock, and
transparencies. It's on the low end of the cost range but provides
quality images that are better than any of the prints my kids
make. I will be using it soon to deal with some 1963-65 medium
format transparencies to- Fix exposure on some Underwater slides
that were systematically under-exposed and couldn't be fixed with the
bleach systems in use in those days. I will also be recovering
images from that era that are faded to pink but actually scan and
with a little help are about as good as they were originally.

Now about printing . . . . I remember the old days, picking paper of
the right contrast range, next using varigram(?) paper with filters,
etc. I'm not against chemical systems but I'm perfectly happy with
scanning and printing with an ink-jet printer. That limits me to 8
1/2 X 11 inch prints but they are fine for my use. If I wanted
larger prints I could go to a commercial house and have them print
using chemical processes or even print with one of those larger ink
jet printers.

Anyhow, I have a few thousand B&W negatives that have never been
printed and my intent is to scan them and print digitally. I miss
the smell of chemicals but digital satisfies me.

No intent to start a debate here so just take this as my feeling, not
an argument for any approach.

DAW
Jon Stanton
2014-05-12 04:45:28 UTC
Rodinal lives!
)
(as do Bix & Bird)

Olympia, WA
DAW
Thor Legvold
2014-05-14 16:02:49 UTC
Well I just made a very important discovery that will change the way I work forever.

Note to self - Never, ever load two rolls on a Jobo reel, no matter how “safe” it is, how much of a hurry you’re in, or how efficient it seems to process 5 or 6 rolls at a time.

The inner roll developed fine. Both of the outer rolls buckled and stuck to the inner roll, preventing developer from reaching the emulsion, and are completely ruined. While I would have liked to have had the pictures on those rolls, thankfully they weren’t anything critical.

From now on I’m sticking to max 3 rolls at a time - one per reel.

Thor
Post by Jon Stanton
Rodinal lives!
)
(as do Bix & Bird)
Olympia, WA
DAW
Don Williams
2014-05-16 22:29:32 UTC
Post by Thor Legvold
The inner roll developed fine. Both of the outer rolls buckled and
stuck to the inner roll, preventing developer from reaching the
emulsion, and are completely ruined. While I would have liked to
have had the pictures on those rolls, thankfully they weren't
anything critical.
Never had that problem when I was using my Nikkor(?) tank. I almost
always did two rolls at once but put them in Back to Back. I agree
that it does take a careful touch to do it but I did have
success. (Actually I think I still have that tank, but less the cap
- lost in moving)

DAW
Allen Zak
2014-05-17 15:31:56 UTC
Paterson reels always worked best for me when developing 2 rolls of 120 at a time. The trick was folding over the leading edge tapes, loading the first roll starting with the trailing end, then feeding in the other starting with the taped end so the two tapes wind up touching. That prevented them from overriding each other. Worked like a charm. Everything else was processed in Nikor (Nikkor being a lens.)

Allen Zak
DAW
Chris Burck
2014-05-18 00:30:15 UTC
"Nikkor being a lens."

Oh, brother. No wonder I couldn't figure out how to load my film! : D
Don Williams
2014-05-18 02:48:45 UTC
Post by Chris Burck
"Nikkor being a lens."
Oh, brother. No wonder I couldn't figure out how to load my film! : D
The strange thing is that during the time I used that can I wasn't
sure who made it, still don't. I am sure it wouldn't take good
pictures, however.

I do have some great binoculars, bought in Japan in 1954 that were
copies of the B&L 7X50's used on the ship. I used them when on
watch. The brand name is Nippon Kogaku, I think the precursor of
Nikon, not sure.

The case is falling apart and the glass is fogged, but Nikon refused
to take them in for overhaul. They are, however, out of
warranty. They were, when new, just as good as the American version.

DAW
Allen Zak
2014-05-18 15:30:44 UTC
Post by Chris Burck
"Nikkor being a lens."
Oh, brother. No wonder I couldn't figure out how to load my film! : D
The strange thing is that during the time I used that can I wasn't sure who made it, still don't. I am sure it wouldn't take good pictures, however.
I do have some great binoculars, bought in Japan in 1954 that were copies of the B&L 7X50's used on the ship. I used them when on watch. The brand name is Nippon Kogaku, I think the precursor of Nikon, not sure.
The case is falling apart and the glass is fogged, but Nikon refused to take them in for overhaul. They are, however, out of warranty. They were, when new, just as good as the American version.
DAW
Nippon Kogaku is the name of the company that produced the Nikon camera line, along with other optical goods, like binoculars. They came to the attention of the world market during the Korean War when well known correspondents, in Japan for R&R and looking for replacements of their worn or damaged German cameras and lenses, discovered Nikon gear to be all but equal to their Leica and Contax counterparts and sometimes better. Their lenses were called Nikkor. For more than 20 years, I did photography with Nikon equipment for my 35 mm requirements (Rollei for most of the rest), found them to be completely reliable and the optics of excellent quality. Eventually, I had to go digital for professional reasons, went with Nikon gear again. Good for the purpose, I suppose, but the relationship just ain’t the same. My film Nikons (and especially the Rolleis) were old friends, the new guys just things. On the other hand, I was much younger then, which might have something to do with my attitude.
However, I love my Nikon binoculars. Really great glass.

Georges Giralt
2014-05-12 08:01:50 UTC
Hello Thor,
An acquaintance has made a thorough tests on, sad for you, HP5+.
He demonstrate that if you want you can expose the 400 ISO film down to
10 EI and get excellent results.
As I use 5x4 and roll film, I've calibrated my process for 5x4 and use
the figures for roll film.

The rationale is to overexpose a bit in order to have something recorded
in the shadows, then get all highlights because modern film have never
ending curves apt to record 10 stops or more.

So the only parameter left is to determine how much time in the dev
you've to use not to get too much contrast to make the negs unprintable
on 00 grade paper.

If I were you, I would take the camera, put the meter at about a half
stop less than the advertised ISO of the film and fill the film with the
same picture of good contrast.
Back in the lab I'll cut the film in 3 parts and develop one for the
"indicated time" in the dev you want to use.
fix, rinse and dry and assert the contrast (scanner, densitometer,
printing, whatever)

If lucky you're done. If not develop another third using either :
A shorter time in the dev if your negs are too contrasty
A longer time in the dev if your negs are not contrasty enough.

If lucky, you're done. If not you still have the third part of the film
to adjust ....

If you're nerdy enough you can adjust the shadow detail on your negs by
adjusting a little the sensitivity dialled on the meter a bit...
Morality : a couple of films, an afternoon in the lab and you're done...

Hope this helps.

P.S. bear in mind that the printing paper does not react as a scanner.
So if you intend to scan your negs ascertain the contrast by using your
scanner and getting proper images on your printer.... Settings can be a
bit different for scanning than for conventional B&W printing.
Post by Thor Legvold
[...]
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
Abraham Maslow
A British variant :
Any tool can serve as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel.
Eddy Willems
Richard Knoppow
2014-05-12 18:16:56 UTC
2014-05-12 20:44:06 UTC
Richard,

Wow. Thank you so much for posting that.

--Chris
Thor Legvold
2014-05-12 20:55:46 UTC
Wow Richard,

awesome post.

If I may paraphrase and simplify, current ISO/ASA/DIN ratings are close to the original minimum necessary exposure to ensure smallest grain and an excellent print (since they 1 stop “safety factor” was removed). Development is then chosen to arrive at a target gamma. Then one chooses paper to suit the contrast desired/envisioned.

Thank you so much for this information, you truly are a treasure trove!

Cheers,
Thor
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2014 3:00 PM
--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
Eric Goldstein
2014-05-12 21:20:50 UTC
Post by Richard Knoppow
Post by Richard Knoppow
Kodak adopted a system that is in some ways opposite of the Zone
system. What Kodak recommended was to expose to get the information on the
film and develop for a desired gamma or contrast index, then adjust the
contrast of the image by choice of paper grade.
Richard, I don't think it's accurate to say what Kodak recommended was the
opposite of the Zone system. First and foremost, the zone system does not
recommend an exposure that would not result in getting the desired contrast
on the film, so in that sense they are both saying the same thing.

What always struct me as a contradiction to the statement "What Kodak
recommended was to expose to get the information on the film" was their
rating of consumer Tri-X as an ASA 400 film. In the strict sense of the
then-new ASA definition, it may have been, but I think most folks who shot
it regarded it and treated it as a 200 speed film exactly in the spirit of
exposing to get the information on the film.

Eric Goldstein
Richard Knoppow
2014-05-13 04:52:13 UTC
[...]
I think the difference is that the Kodak method was to
make the contrast adjustments in printing and the zone
system to make it in the negative. Actually you need to do
both and some scenes will need individual manipulation i.e.
burning and dodging, to get the image right. Either system
will get you there if you understand what you are doing.
Kodak was more interested in the mass market and minimal
manipulation of negatives. Print contrast via different
grades of paper can be done in mass production printing,
that is, photo-finishing.
The published speed for Tri-X or any other film is the
result of measuring it via some speed determining method. I
don't remember now how Jones specified exposure and density
ranges other than the speed point was where the toe gamma
was 1/3rd of the straight line gamma. There is a problem
with this since many films do not have a truly straight line
part of the curve. I think average gamma may have been used.
This measurement is a difficult one to make so the system
was abandoned when it was discovered that a minimum density
speed point with a correction would usually duplicate it.
Now, film is used in practice in ways different from the
way the film speed measurement uses it. Remember that Jones
found that an increase in exposure of many stops did no
damage to the tone rendition. So some increase in exposure
is perfectly satisfactory especially if one is not quite
certain about the accuracy of exposure of the camera
(usually they overexpose but not always). The main drawback
of increased exposure is increased printing time, not a big
deal. My own experience is that most films give better
images when given a bit more exposure than the box speed
suggests. There really is no such thing as "true" speed,
there is measured speed, that is measured using a controlled
system which is reproducible and there is whatever speed
results in the most pleasing prints. Maybe not always the
same. Actually L.A.Jones was trying for the latter in his
experiments. Unfortunately, the papers are scattered. Many
are in the Journal of the Franklin Institute but some are
elsewhere. There are references in Kenneth Meese books. Mine
are stashed away at the moment. Its possible some of this is
available from the web but I was never able to find any of
it and my copies of Jones papers are all from the public
library.
A note: When Meese created the Kodak Research Laboratory
he decided that the scientists at Kodak should publish their
scientific papers in established, peer-reviewed, journals
rather than in a house organ of some sort. This gave to
Kodak immediate credibility and status. However, it may make
some materials difficult to find because one must search
many journals. OTOH, it is very difficult to find some
company published journals. I found Meese's "Theory of the
Photographic Process" on Google books, well worth the
download even though chemical theory has changed
substantially since it was written. Meese has an extensive
bibliography of earlier research including Jones's work.
BTW, the spelling of Loyd is correct.
You may all be aware that Meese was working for and a
part owner of Wratten and Wainright in England. W&W had done
very considerable research into the use of dyes for
sensitizing film as well as for filters. George Eastman,
who had a tremendous respect for British scientists, was
already interested in developing a practical method of color
photography and wanted Meese partly to aid in that project.
Meese told Eastman that he was willing to go to Rochester
provided that Eastman would buy out Wratten and leave the
founders in charge of it. Eastman agreed and W&W became a
part of Kodak. Meese came to Rochester and set up the Kodak
Research Laboratories, one of the first corporate research
laboratories in the US. It was partly modeled on the
laboratories at General Electric which were the successors
to Edison's labs and the lab at Western Electric which later
became Bell Laboratories, . This was in 1912 which was a
very important time for industrial research, the labs at GE
and WE made discoveries at about this time that allowed
perfecting the vacuum tube and resulted in the enormous
growth of electronics. Meese was not able to devise a
practical color photography method for decades. Eventually
AGFA came up with the "modern" type of color, that is a
multi-layer film with built in color couplers so that it
could be developed directly into a color image. Kodak
eventually found another way to achieve this but it was not
fundamentally different from the AGFA method. Kodachrome,
despite its great success, was really only a stop-gap since
it required a very complex processing method well beyond
what could be done by most commercial labs let alone the
amateur photographer. Kodak had a couple of earlier
processes, both using names that got re-used later:
Kodacolor and Kodachrome. One was an additive process using
particles of dyed starch (or maybe a reseau, I don't
remember at the moment) the other a lenticular process which
was used for color motion pictures. Neither was very
satisfactory or very successful.
I have run way off the topic and will stop now.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
***@ix.netcom.com
Marc James Small
2014-05-13 06:00:54 UTC
\Kodak eventually found another way to achieve this but it was not
fundamentally different from the AGFA method. Kodachrome, despite its
great success, was really only a stop-gap since it required a very
complex processing method well beyond what could be done by most
commercial labs let alone the amateur photographer. Kodak had a
Kodacolor and Kodachrome. One was an additive process using particles
of dyed starch (or maybe a reseau, I don't remember at the moment) the
other a lenticular process which was used for color motion pictures.
Neither was very satisfactory or very successful.
Kodak did study the late Prewar AGFA process but was barred by patent
law from using this. That constraint ended in 1941 with the German
declaration of war on the US. During both world wars, the warring
powers imposed Enemy Alien Property acts which effectively seized the
intellectual property rights of the opponents. AGFA -- a part of AF
Farbinindustrie -- had spent time and effort to expand their process so
the US, which briefly occupied the AGFA plant at Wolfen, seized the
process and made it a free grab for any US company and Kodak came to
the plate and took it. Thus was born Kodacolor. Yes, Kodak had a LOT
to do with it, but AGFA did the bulk of the work.

When the boundaries of occupation were established, the Wolfen plant
fell into the Soviet Zone but it seems that the US had completely
stripped the plant so that the Soviets learned nothing of significance.
In the end, the East Germans rebuilt the plant and marketed their wares
as ORWO -- Original Wolfen -- but ORWO only got into color after the
reunification of the Germanies, and that did not last long. But, damn!,
ORWO made some from schwarz-weisse films.

This is definitely on-topic as the only 120 chrome film available today
-- the Rolleiflex TLR's take 120 film --- are derived from this rivalry
between Kodak and AGFA.

Marc
John Jensen
2014-05-13 16:47:28 UTC
Eastman Kodak claims Kodacolor print film was introduced in 1942.  Post 1945 I am sure Kodak 'improved' its film based on Agfa technology.

John

________________________________

- Post to ***@freelists.org

- Subscribe at rollei_list-***@freelists.org with 'subscribe'

Marc James Small
2014-05-14 03:46:23 UTC
Post by John Jensen
Eastman Kodak claims Kodacolor print film was introduced in 1942.
Post 1945 I am sure Kodak 'improved' its film based on Agfa technology.
That makes sense, John. The Agfa process was in the public domain was
patented. If Kodak simply ' borrowed' the Agfa process in 1942, who
could complain? In 1943, the US passed its Alien Properties Act which
gave this some ex post facto legality. What the US wanted in 1945 were
the developments made since 1940, when Germany classified all such
industrial processes, and 1945, when the War ended.

Marc
Chris Burck
2014-05-13 19:58:42 UTC
Fascinating. Can't help but wonder what would have been, had Kodak been
unable to breach Agfa's patents.
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2014 2:20 PM
subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org
the subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org
Eric Goldstein
2014-05-13 20:57:52 UTC
I think the difference is that the Kodak method was to make the
contrast adjustments in printing and the zone system to make it in the
negative.

Hi Richard - the Zone system makes contrast adjustments in the print as
well, though the idea is to do as much of the compensation with the
negative as is possible.

Eric Goldstein
Don Williams
2014-05-13 22:08:23 UTC
Post by Eric Goldstein
Hi Richard - the Zone system makes contrast adjustments in the print
as well, though the idea is to do as much of the compensation with
the negative as is possible.
Eric Goldstein
Well, I think we are all being left in the dust by our kids and grand kids.

One of my grand kids posted an extended range picture made
automatically by his smart phone. Apparently it takes 3 exposures at
different levels and combines them. Really great range. I was
really impressed.

(I think one name for the process is High Dynamic Range, HDR, but
I've seen several discussions calling the process by several different names.)

DAW
Eric Goldstein
2014-05-14 01:00:36 UTC
Don, I promise you I am not left in the dust by the talents of my kids and
grandkids... can you think of why I can be so sure?

If your shots pale in comparison to HDR cell phone shots, ok. Many of us
were making HDR images from a couple of film negatives before anyone
conceived of the notion that there could be digital HDR images combined
through automation.

I've looked at many many instagram, flickr, and similar sites that feature
the cell phone shots of famous/professional shooters, and they overwhelming
majority look, to my eye, like cell phone snap shots, unless the moment is
truly exceptional and then no one cares about anything but the content.

And yes those shooters are someone's kids and grandkids... ;-)

Eric Goldstein
DAW
Richard Knoppow
2014-05-14 02:45:12 UTC